The Employment Law Association of Ireland will be holding its AGM on Wednesday 30 May 2018 at the Merrion Hotel, Dublin 2 at 6.30 pm. Further details are below.
We have a very special guest speaker on the night, Ms Bronwyn McKenna who was appointed as a UK Tribunal Judge in January 2018. Prior to her judicial appointment she was Assistant General Secretary at UNISON where she led the historic challenge to Employment Tribunal fees in 2017. Brownyn will be speaking about a four year fight against the government in relation to the imposition of Employment Tribunal fees, which led to the government being directed to refund the £27million charged to those who took claims to the Tribunal.
The Supreme Court unanimously found that the coalition government was acting unlawfully and unconstitutionally when they introduced the charges. This is a fascinating case and the ruling by the Supreme Court is historic and a testament to the power of the legal challenge by utilising employment law concepts. This is a chance to hear the inside track and the ultimate successful outcome from Bronwyn who led the challenge within Unison and described it as the proudest moment in her professional life.
We would be delighted if all members could join us for this event in the Merrion and to attend after for a glass of wine to celebrate the success of ELAI
Notice of the AGM
EMPLOYMENT LAW ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND
NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Employment Law Association of Ireland (ELAI) will be held at the Merrion Hotel, Merrion Street Upper, Dublin 2 on Wednesday, 30 May 2018 at 6.30pm to transact the following business:-
1. To review the activities of the ELAI to date.
2. To approve the subscription rates for 2017.
3. To elect the officers and ordinary members of the Executive Committee of the ELAI.
4. Any other business.
By order of the Executive Committee
Employment Law Association of Ireland, 8 May 2018
Notes to the Notice of Annual General Meeting
1. The Chairperson will provide a brief report to the members on the work carried out by the ELAI and the Executive Committee.
2. The Treasurer will provide a brief account of the finances of the ELAI and report on the rates, which she has agreed with the Executive Committee, are desirable. The Executive Committee is proposing that the full subscription annual rate of €85 be maintained.
3. Nominations for the office of Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Secretary, Membership Secretary, Treasurer, North/South of Ireland Co-Ordinator and ordinary members of the Executive Committee shall be made to the Chairperson at the AGM.
4. Any other business may be tabled by the Chairperson at the AGM.
Note: Any matter of general business which a member wishes to bring before the AGM should be notified to the Secretary in writing no later than 7 days before the AGM.